University of British Columbia: Top courses, Fee, Eligibility Criteria and Application Process

11 1
University of British Columbia is known as UBC for short, is a public funded research university in Canada.The university was founded 112 years ago in the year 1908 and since then, it has grown to be one of the best universities in Canada and indeed all over the world.

 

UBC is the short name for University of British Columbia that we will be using throughout this article. UBC ranks as one of the top three universities in the whole of Canada and is the oldest university in British Columbia. This university is well funded for research works and it funds up to 8,000 research projects every year.University of British Columbia
In this article, we will be looking at the top courses available at UBC, the fees to study at the University, the eligibility criteria and all the processes for applying to this great university. Without further ado, let’s start addressing the points one after the other.

 

Top courses available at University of British Columbia.

So, there are so many courses and programs available for aspirants of UBC to pick from. And these programs are divided into sections or categories under which they fall. In this article segment, we will be looking at a number of categories and the top courses available under each of them at UBC.

 

First category we are looking at is the Business and Economics section of programs. Under this category, there are 17 different courses for you to choose from. They are;

 

  •  Commerce, for 4 years
  • Economics for 4 years
  • Business and Computer Science for 4 years
  • Combined Majors in Statistics for 4 years
  • Economics (BA) for 4 years
  • Economics (BSc) for 4 years
  • Management for 4 years
  • General Studies for 4 years and others.
We only listed some of the courses under this category. To know more, visit you.ubc.ca.

 

Under the Earth, Environment and Sustainability category ,we have a number of top courses. Some of them are;
  • Archaelogy
  • Architecture
  • Land scape Architecture and
  • Urbanism
Environmental Engineering for 4-5 years
  • Geography
  • Forestry
  • Geology
  • Geophysics
  • Oceanography and a host of other courses .
Under the Health and Life Sciences category, we have top courses like;
  • Biology
  • Biochemistry
  • Biotechnology
  • Clinical Exercise Physiology
  • Dentistry
  • Dietetics for 5 years
  • Medical Laboratory Science for 2 years
  • Nursing
  • Medicine
  • Midwifery
  • Psychology and more.
There are more categories and more individual courses under them, to see the full list of top courses available at University of British Columbia, please visit you.ubc.ca.

 

Tuition fees at UBC.

Moving on to another sub-topic of this article. Let’s look at the tuition fees range for students in general at UBC. The tuition and fees costs estimates we will be giving below are for the 2018/2019 academic sessions. The total living and tuition fees expense for international students stand at $29,680 a year. This is the average attendance cost for foreign students. And this figure is for undergraduate students. For post graduate program students, the attendance cost is around $6,714 a year, this includes the tuition fees and other living expenses.

 

On Campus Accomodation.

The price for shared room on campus at UBC is $4,855 a year. The price for a connected single room is $5,712 a year while the price for a single room is $6,133 a year at UBC. These figures may be subject to change .

 

Eligibility criteria for prospective students at University of British Columbia.

All students applying to UBC are expected to meet certain scores based on a number of tests. They are;
  •  PTE – 77.5
  • IELTS – 6.5
  • TOEFL – 90
  • GMAT – 650

 

Meeting these scores does not guarantee automatic admission for the applicants but it is part of the criteria to be eligible. The University of British Columbia has an acceptance rate of 53%. The university has had a total of 102,333 applicants as at 2019 and has had 54,236 students enrolled at the university. 82% of these enrollment stats are for undergraduate programs, while the remaining 18% are for graduate programs. Up to 56% of students enrolled have been female. While the remaining 44% are male.

 

  • Other things to do to be more eligible are;

Paying the application fees, submitting your application on time/ very early, meeting the rest scores for the exams listed above and keeping abreast of newly updated information about undergraduate admissions.
A total of 17,225 foreign students have been enrolled at UBC and that means you stand a great chance of being enrolled too as a foreign student.

Application process to University of British Columbia

In order to apply to UBC, there are requirements before you can submit your application successfully. First one is the English Language Requirement.

 

English Language Requirement.

 If you are an international applying outside Canada, you must prove that you are proficient in English Language. And the test must have been taken at least 24 months before application. There are some English Language proficiency tests for applicants that are acceptable at UBC. They are ;TOEFL( Test of English as a Foreign Language)in which the applicant will need a maximum score of 90 in total to be eligible.

 

IELTS.

This is another English Language proficiency test acceptable at UBC and the minimum score acceptable at UBC with IELTS is 6.5. Also, the test scores must be sent to the UBC College of graduate studies directly from the English Testing Agencies.

 

Documents that prove your citizenship.

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, you should submit proof. Also, the passport or any other valid citizenship document of your country can be submitted too.
If you graduated from a Canadian high school, the general admission requirements are thus;
  • You must have successfully graduated from high school, a minimum of 70-90% in grade 11 or 12’s English.

Gather all the required documents.

 Apart from your English tests scores, proof of citizenship and proof of graduating high school, you will also need together your reference letters, and transcripts.

 

Make sure you pay the Application Fees.

The application fee amount is very subject to change but as at 2019, the fees for application at UBC is $123. Failure to pay your application fees means that your application will be ignored .

 

Are scholarships available for students?

Yes. Very available in fact. Because UBC is a heavy research based University , it attracts a lot of scholarship awards to its students. Also, the cost of education is very low for such high quality education received at the institution.In fact, all foreign students that are in research based programs automatically qualify for a scholarship tuition award of up to $3,200 at UBC. There are other awards like that available to students.

 

READ ALSO:
All in all, we hope this article has been very informative an you found all the useful info you have been looking for.
Don't miss out!
Subscribe To Newsletter

Receive top Scholarship Tips, Student Study Abroad, Visa tips and more!

Invalid email address
Give it a try. You can unsubscribe at any time.

1 comment

Leave a Reply