How To Study, Work and Live In Canada in 2022

If you are an international student that wants to study in one of Canada’s prestigious educational institutions, then you definitely need this guide on how to studying work and live in Canada; inside this beautiful country called Canada. Did you know that up to half of Canada’s population (over 35 million people) have a college degree. Yes. Canada is the most educated country in the world. If you are looking for a great country to pursue your Bachelor’s degree in, Canada is a great choice certainly.


How To Study, Work and Live In Canada


Here we discussed a step-by-step guide to studying work and live in Canada


Look through Canada’s many universities and tertiary institutions and choose the few institutions that you wish to add to your shortlist.

Canada has up to 125 public and private universities scattered all over the country. So, there is an abundance of universities to select from and these universities offer up to 3,000 unique Bachelor’s degree programs in total. The most popular locations of study in Canada are Montreal and Toronto.


How To Study, Work and Live In Canada
  •  Choose your favourite course of study.

Apart from carefully selecting your choice of university, you should also know the available courses to study and pick your favourite. The most popular courses that students opt for are BSC in Computer Science, BSC in Engineering, BSC in Psychology and BSC in Mathematics. Pick a course of study carefully. These are one of the criteria to studying work and live in Canada


  • Apply to the Canadian universities or tertiary institutions in your short list.

Each university has a unique set of guidelines for application so it is not a “one-size-fits-all” thing. Also, application fees can range from 100 to 250 Canadian dollars. This means that the number of institutions you can apply to are limited depending on your pocket size. A confirmation email will be sent to you after you have applied. The email could ask you to submit more documents and you should also follow the university closely via email for important updates and announcements.


  • What about tuition fees? And other living expenses?

A regular and typical Canadian university has two semesters. The first semester runs from September to December, the 2nd semester runs from January to April. In some cases, some universities and specific courses of study demand a third semester. The third semester will usually run throughout the whole summer. Tuition fees can range from 500 to 30,000 CAD per year (or up to 50,000 CAD per year). Other living expenses can cost up to 900 to 1,500 CAD a month. You should take all these into consideration when planning your budget.


  • Now apply for Canadian student visa or study permit.

Canada is one of the easiest countries with online application process for student visa. The process is very convenient. You can also apply in person at the Canadian embassy in your own country. Usually, the fee for Visa application for foreign students is around 150 CAD. If you are asked to submit your Biometrics, the fee is usually around 85 CAD. Usually, to apply for Visa as a foreign student, you need to submit your acceptance letter from a Canadian university or institution, an identity proof like passport or National ID card and also a proof of sufficient funds to study abroad, travel and also live in Canada.


How To Study, Work and Live In Canada


  • Sit for the language proficiency test.

You will also need to take a language proficiency test in either English or French depending on your choice. The result for the test will be submitted.


  • Plan your travel accordingly.

Once you have received the results of your language test, which could be either for French or English languages, you are to submit it as well. Once your study permit is issued to you to studying work and live in Canada, it will have a start date and end date indicated on it. Plan your travel along with the start date. You are not allowed into Canada before the start date commences.


While you Study

  • Work options for you.

You can work part-time while studying in Canada. During holidays and breaks, you are allowed to work full-time. You can either work on campus right there, work off campus or work as an intern. You cannot work before your studies on campus begin though. You don’t need a work permit to work on campus if you are a full-time university student, you have a study permit that is valid and a SIN (Social Insurance Number). The moment you stop studying full-time, you have to stop working on campus. Same applies to when your study permit has expired.


  • How To Extend Your Stay

While you studying work and live in Canada, there are two fees to pay when trying to extend your stay in Canada. In case your study permit expires, sometimes after you have completed your first program in Canada, you might want to continue or further your studies. Some situations call for study permit extension. The two fees to be paid to extend your stay are; the original study permit fee for $150 and the fee to restore your status for $350. Once the date on your Study Permit has been reached, it means it is time for you to stop studying and leave Canada. The date usually includes the extra 90 days for you to prepare to leave the country. There are options for you if you are through with studies and you want to continue to stay in Canada. For example, you can apply for a Work Permit or you could apply for Change of status or you could just leave the country. It is very possible to extend your stay.  But it is advised for you to apply for a Study Permit extension before it expires.


  • How You Can Explore Canada

There is enough time-off between semesters to allow many adventurous international or foreign students to explore Canada while they are studying. Canada has beautiful cities, beaches, mountains and sceneries that all foreign students must see. There is one cheap way to explore Canada and it is via train. Even on a tight budget, you can still take yourself for adventures in Canada if you know your way. while studying work and live in Canada, you can also opt in to explore the beautiful cities in Canada.


  • Working in Canada after graduation temporarily.

You will need a work permit to be able to work temporarily after you are done in school. The main aim when you want to studying work and live in Canada. There is the PGWP which means Post-Graduation Work PLEASE, only graduates of certain DLIs in Canada (that is Designated Learning Institutions) are eligible to get this work permit. There are other types of Work Permit like the Employers Specific Work Permit and the Open Work Permit. It is while you are temporarily working and staying in Canada that you can start processing for your Permanent Residence. You only have 180 days after you receive your final marks from your institution for you to apply for the PGWP. There is a DLI list on that you can check to see if your school is eligible for PGWP.


  • The road to Permanent Residence.

After your studies in Canada and now you have considerable work experience, you have a number of options regarding how to become a permanent resident. You should be aware that there is such a thing as Canadian Language benchmark (CLB) for measuring English language ability in adult immigrants. And the Niveau de Competence Linguistique Canadians (NCLC) for assessing French language. You should also be aware of the NOC (National Occupation Code). Under the NOC the main job groups are Skill type 0, Skill Level A, Skill Level B, C and D for a particular job type or type of jobs. You can visit for more information on this.


Once you have completed your studies and being accepted into permanent residence status, you can now start living in Canada as a citizen. We hope our short guide on how to studying Work and Live in Canada was helpful.

About the author: admin

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *