As a foreigner that wants to study in Canada, it is of utmost importance that you apply for a student visa otherwise called Canada Study Permit. In this article, we will be looking at the requirements that students need to meet and the required steps to take to apply for student visa requirements for Canada.
Canada is an “hot-cake” country for many students all over the world. Not surprising if one considers the level of academic excellence that Canadian universities and tertiary institutions are known for. Let’s get to the main point of this article. What are the requirements needed by a foreign student to apply for Student Visa for Canada?
What documents are needed?
There are important documents that you need to have ready as you will need to submit these documents for review and processing. You will need;
- Your acceptance letter
- Your valid passport
- A financial proof that you are able to support yourself throughout your stay.
These three documents are compulsory but you might be asked to submit other documents like;
- A letter of explanation
- A certificat d’acceptation du Quebec
- A custodian declaration and more.
Depending on the province you are applying to, your course of study and other factors, the required documents to tender might differ from one foreign student to the other.
Now, let’s talk about each of the above necessary documents so that you understand fully what we are talking about.
Your acceptance letter
Your school will definitely send you an acceptance letter. You are to submit either the electronic copy of the acceptance letter or the original paper of it along with your student visa application. If you were admitted on the basis of “conditional acceptance”, then you will only be given student visa for the duration of those courses plus an additional 1 year. What “conditional acceptance” means is that, before you can study your main program, you need to complete some prerequisite courses for example, French. But you will need to apply for a new student visa after you have completed the prerequisite courses in order to be able to study your main program.
2. Your valid passport/ Proof of Identity
Everyone applying for a study permit must have a valid passport or a travel document as a proof of identity. All online applicants of the study permit must upload the information part of the passport along with their other study permit documents. Once the study permit application has been approved, then you are mandated to submit/send over your original passport. United States citizens have an advantage for the types of identification documents they can carry. Along with a valid passport, you also need to submit two recently snapped passport photos. Your name and date of birth is meant to be written on the back of the passport photos.
3. Financial Proofs.
There are a number of ways with which you can prove that you will be able to support yourself financially throughout your stay in Canada as well as that of other family members coming with you. You can prove through;
- A GIC that is, Guaranteed Investment Certificate from a Canadian bank/finance institution.
- Proof of your Canadian bank account if you have transferred the money from your country to Canada.
- Proof of an educational loan/student loan given to you from a bank.
- You can prove with your bank statements for the past 4 months.
- You can also proof with a bank draft that is convertible to Canadian dollars.
- With a letter from your sponsor or person giving you money.
- Proof that you are being funded by a scholarship or educational program.
The above are the many ways in which you can proof your financial ability and you are to submit them with your study permit application. The minimum amount of funds that an individual or student should have or must have to support themselves in Canada (Outside of Quebec province) in a year is CAN$10,000 (aside from tuition fees) while in a month, funds needed (minimum amount) outside of Quebec province is CAN$833.
And these minimum amounts are just for living expenses. If a family member is coming with the student then you are to check the minimum amount of funds needed for each family member in a year on the official Canadian immigration website www.canada.ca. In Quebec province, the minimum funds needed for a student’s living expenses (outside tuition fees) is CAN$11,000 a year.
Above, we explained the 3 main documents you need and are required to submit to apply for Student Visa requirements for Canada. You might also need to submit;
- Letter of Explanation
- CAQ (Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec)
- Custodian declaration for minor children. And more..
- You can otherwise check www.cic.gc.ca to check local requirements for your country. This is the official
- Canada visa office website address at www.cic.gc.ca.
Who can apply for Student Visa Requirements for Canada?
This is a key part of the requirements to obtain student visa for Canada. A student that wants to be eligible for the Student Visa requirements for Canada acceptance is required to;
- Be enrolled and admitted at a DLI i.e Designated Learning Institution.
- Show through the documents that you have submitted, that you have money to pay for tuition fees, for your living expenses and other additional family members coming with you to Canada. Also, you should prove that you have funds to return to your country when it’s time.
- Show that you will obey the law and that you have no record of criminal activities and you might need to show a police certificate if it is asked of you.
- Show that you are in perfectly good health and you might also be required to submit results of a medical exam done recently.
- Prove to an immigration officer that you will exit Canada once your student visa/study permit expires.
- It is also important that you stay true to your responsibilities while you are studying in Canada.
Once you have met the Student Visa requirements for Canada and Document requirements, you are good to go with your student visa application.